Thursday, September 13, 2012

Current Connections: 7-Year-Old Colorado Girl Survives Bubonic Plague

What's the author's purpose?: to tell the story of a little girl who recently caught the Black Death and also to raise awareness to the fact that the bubonic plague is not just a disease of the past

Does the author accomplish his/her purpose?: Yes. The article tells news about the girl but also gives information about the sickness.

What ideas do you agree with?: I agree that there probably will not be a massive outbreak of bubonic plague in this country.

What ideas do you disagree with?: I don't agree with the author saying that we do not have the public health care problems we used to and that if an outbreak happened, the victims would be contained quickly.

What do you not understand?: Why did the girl's parents let her touch a dead squirrel OR keep an eye on her to keep her away from it if they did tell her?

What Connections can you make with the text?: I am around insects that could possibly be carrying the bubonic plague every day. (personal/self connection)

How can I become a more active participant in my learning? How can I take responsibility for my learning?: I will take what I read in the article into consideration and use the information that the article gave me to try to avoid getting sick. I will take responsibility for my health and in applying the information I learned in the article into everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment