Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Effects of a Setting

Author Willa Cather embedded literary devices, such as metaphors, similes, and personification, within her writing.

"As I looked about me I felt that the grass was the country, as the water is the sea. The red of the grass made all the great prairie the colour of wine-stains, or of certain seaweeds when they are first washed up. And there was so much motion in it; the whole country seemed, somehow, to be running."

"The grave, with its tall red grass that was never mowed, was like a little island."

"Winter comes down savagely over a little town on the prairie. The wind that sweeps in from the open country strips away all the leafy screens that hide one yard from another in summer, and the houses seem to draw closer together. The roofs, that looked so far away across the green treetops, now stare you in the face, and they are so much uglier than when their angles were softened by vines and shrubs.


     The setting plays a major role on the lives of the characters within the novel. For example, if the Shimerda family had moved to a large city, they might not have fallen on such hard times. Mr. Shimerda might have been happier and not killed himself and Antonia would not have been forced to live the rough lifestyle of a man. She may have been a prim and proper lady and been married off to some rich guy, never to have to work in the fields again. If Jim had not moved to the farm with his grandparents, he would have never learned to appreciate the things he has in life. By living on a farm, he learned to work hard and follow instructions. He also would not have been exposed to the people, such as Otto and Jake, who taught him all of the things that a father would teach a son. The setting of the story made a huge impact on the plot and all of the characters.

     The woods are a paradise to me. The best time is during the fall when the leaves turn colors and float softly to the ground. The tall, imposing trees give me a sense of safety and comfort. They stand tall and proud, like a veteran soldier bravely defending his country. I love to hear the small creek whispering its song to the world as it weaves its way across the landscape. I can sit, relax and ponder the ways of the world when there is nothing but nature surrounding me. Off in the distance, the sun is slowly losing its battle with the night, leaving everything bathed orange in its warm glow. When I see this, I know it is time to head back to my home. However reluctant, I am placated by the realization that my paradise is permanent and I can always visit again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment