Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Book Review: Uglies

     Scott Westerfeld's futuristic novel Uglies was kind of interesting to me but at the same time, left much to be desired. It is written in third person limited point of view, only showing the point to view of one character; Tally. I enjoyed the basic storyline that was expressed in the book. It was not near as fast-paced as I prefer, but it was still pretty good. There was even a little 'side story' type of plot added in there; a little love triangle-esque relationship between Shay, David, and Tally. I read the book at more of a relaxed pace due to slight lack of interest at points but a lot of people would probably find it more interesting than I did. I have my own specific, odd taste in book types and this just wasn't one ot them for me.  Though I liked the overall plot of the book but also got a little confused at times due to the fact that there really was not any explanation as to what things were.  They would start using equipment and I had no idea what it was, such as the interface ring, and hoverboards.  I could definitely infer what the general use of them was but had no clue at all when the book started talking about how to use them.  On the bright side, Westerfeld writing style was very clear and easy to understand and  if I am not mistaken, I think I even caught on to a moral.  The story seemed to me to be subtly hinting at the fact that people are not perfect and we should not expect perfection from somebody.  We, as humans, tend to subconsiously hold everything up to an unwritten, idealistic standard that nobody will ever truly be able to meet.  Tally lives in a world where eveyone at the age of 16 get major reconstructive surgery in order to become perfect, or "pretty." She is extremely excited for her birthday but when she meets Shay, who does not seem to want to become pretty, she may start to see things differently.  Ultimately, she get put in a position where she must choose her friends or her dreams.  Though some aspects of the book kind of confused and sometimes frustrated me, I would definitely recommend it for someone else to read.  I would probably say that teenage girls would get the most enjoyment out of this book but I believe that guys might would like to read it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment